Mercer's Outing to Carkeek Park and Momentum Indoor Bouldering
<< Trip Reports click to return to the list of our trips.
- Asa Mercer Middle School
- Saturday, November 16, 2019
- Trip Types:
- Beach Walk, Climbing, Educational, Hiking
- 8:15 AM: Pre-trip meeting at Victrola Coffee
8:45 AM: Students are dropped-off at Mercer Middle School
9:15 AM: Depart for Index, WA - Heybrook Lookout Trailhead
10:30 AM: Hike to lookout tower 2.5 mi / RT with 800 ft elevation gain
12:00 PM: Lunch at the lookout tower
1:30 PM: Depart for Wallace Hatchery,
2:00 PM Tour & play around the hatchery
3:00 PM: Load up vans and depart for Mercer
4:15 PM: Students are picked-up at Mercer
- Due to a gloomy forecast for the Stevens Pass / Index area (40s, rain) we decided on our back up plan for this trip. We selected Carkeek Park due to the salmon run in Pipers Creek and reserved space with Momentum Indoor Climbing gym in SoDo.
The trip went very well overall. We had a smooth pick up of two EYES leaders between 8AM and 8:30 AM, meeting up with the rest of the team at Victrola Coffee in Beacon Hill. At Mercer, we played the headphones game as an icebreaker and headed to Carkeek Park. We hiked the length of the park and spent time at the beach. We hiked back along the creek and spoke with several volunteer groups who were counting salmon. We even located a few wild live salmon in the creek, and a few dead ones. The students seemed to really enjoy it and were tired by lunch.
After lunch in a picnic area, we drove to SoDo for rock climbing. Most students participated but two 8th graders did not want to. We kept close eye on the students during a busy Saturday to make sure they were courteous to others. We also tried to engage the students who did not want to climb, as they had access to a yoga room and a gym room.
We returned to the school at approx. 3:30 and all students were picked up by 4PM. No major issues during the day, and several students really enjoyed the climbing in particular. We also got some great pictures of the group which we will share with the social media team.
- Momentum Climbing is a good location for a very rainy day activity, but it can be busy on Saturday midday. The student rate is $14.00 for access + $6.00 for shoes.